Saturday 28 December 2013

New residents, demolition and painting

A busy couple of days on the farm. We had a relaxed and low key Christmas in Warrnambool strolling along the beach in the morning in the brilliant sunshine and eating multiple helpings of  mum's amazing pudding.
Mum with her pudding recipe.

We headed home so that we could get prepared for Dave, Lily and Woody who were coming up to help out with some tasks around the house. So on Boxing Day it was off to Masters to get some paint made up. We'd decided on 'Chalkdust' as a colour,which basically just means white, but a white that hopefully would make the most of the natural light and give a lift to the internal walls that are almost a railway yellow colour, and a colour name that has a link to our teaching lives! Back at the farm, I jumped on the ride-on for my first spin. I was tentative at first, with Rohan telling me his dad said it's just like driving a tank. Information that wasn't going to be particularly helpful to me! In no time, I was obsessed with the mower and took to the paddocks. There's something quite peaceful about mowing your way through the rows of olive trees with the view of Mount Warrenheip in the background and I could have easily stayed out there for longer than the two hours I was zooming along.


If you come to visit and I'm not around just head towards the sound of mowing, and bring me a drink - I might be thirsty. Mowing was not all smooth sailing however, as the previous owner has at one stage ploughed the paddocks with a tractor leaving some bumpy stretches where my bum flies slightly off the seat and causes the mower to sputter and cough as the safety switch kicks in.


Friday we were up early and ready for a day of painting and cleaning. We got to work with Woody taking to the roof to clean the gutters and spouts of leaf litter and gunk. Inside Dave and Lily were beginning to paint our bedroom while Rohan and I bunked off, heading back into town to grab things we'd forgotten, and I made a quick trip to Bunnings. I'm still not sure of what a double male hose adapter looks like, seeing as I bought two females, convinced that they looked like the dummy ending Rohan had described to me. Maybe next time I'll get it right! It's moments like these I'm glad we're only 10k out of town as it makes being forgetful easier to live with.

 Lily taking the mower for a spin and Woody cleaning up the gutters.




Meanwhile back at the ranch things were progressing well. Masking tape in hand I began taping the floor around the skirting boards, with Dave having seen my painting before knowing that I have more runs than Bradman and usually end up with more paint on me than on the walls. Lily and Dave did an amazing job, finishing off the bedroom, the lounge and making good progress on the open kitchen area.

Outside moves were afoot to open up the house. When we arrived there was a dingy carport at one end, a strange little lean to shed at the other and around the back, a sunroom that was more like a sauna and a breeding ground for all manner of spiders, including some large, chunky and terrifying redbacks. Life on the land is terrifying and I feel like an English tourist terrified that each bug I see is going to kill me. Still, if it is going to happen let it be today when Woody the paramedic is here! Dave, Rohan and Woody took to the sheds and the sunroom, and the difference was instantly recognisable.

There's still a bit of cleaning up to do around each of these areas and some painting of the posts, but it is looking so much better.
 Dingy carport before
The side of the house with the carport gone.

 The dodgy side shed.
With the tin gone from the side shed.
 The closed in sunroom
Sunroom opened up. 


On Saturday we set about cleaning up all the tin, wood and laser light from the sheds and sunroom, putting it all in a shed down the back henceforth known as Masters supply on Kiely's.

While we did this Dave the painting machine continued his painting bonanza. Nam arrived at about 11 with our new residents, the three sheep, informally named, Lambchop, Roast and Cutlet. The sheep headed into the orchard where the grass is long and spent all day happily munching their way around. We discovered an existing resident today when Rohan came across a snake near the water trough - I think the snake was more surprised to see that people have moved back to the farm- although I'm hoping I don't come across one anytime soon!

So things are coming along at a cracking pace, thanks to the family who have volunteered their time to help us out. With the changes to the sunroom in particular I'm really looking forward to sitting out the back watching the sun set at the end of the day!



 Sheep waiting to enter their new home!
 Happy as larry in the orchard!



No comments:

Post a Comment